N. Woodburn Nichols, son of Norman Nichols and Jane C. (Renton) Nichols, was born in Groveland, Massachusetts, on December 19, 1859. During his youth, he met Clara Louise Hopkinson, also of Groveland, and the two were wed in 1885. After Mr. Nichols graduated from Groveland High School, he worked as a clerk in a Haverhill retail clothier store. In 1892, he became a partner in Nichols & Morse, a men’s clothier located in Haverhill. Mr. Nichols was also a Vice President of the Haverhill National Bank, which is now the Bank of America.
On June 15, 1925, Mr. Nichols died in Haverhill and was laid to rest at Groveland's Riverview Cemetery along side his wife Clara. After his passing, The Trustees of the N. Woodburn Nichols’ Trust worked to fulfill Mr. Nichols' wish to build a senior living community in Groveland.
Initially the senior living community was slated to be built on the land of the Nichols' family home on Garrison Street. However, since this location was a densely developed residential area and of insufficient size to meet the requirements of a state of the art facility, another location was sought. Hence the over 90 acres where Nichols Village now rests.